Losing a tooth can be devastating. It affects your appearance and can lead to other physical problems that can detrimentally impact your health. Dental implants enhance the quality of life for our patients in Apex, North Carolina. Implants improve your overall health, while helping you gain the confidence that comes from a well-functioning smile that looks good and feels natural. There are many benefits to replacing missing teeth with dental implants.
- Preserve the integrity of bone structure after tooth loss
- Maintain the health of adjacent teeth as there is no need for bridge work
- Eliminate the need for bothersome dentures
- Improve speaking ability
- Correct bite misalignment
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants replace the tooth’s natural anchoring roots with biocompatible titanium that supports a porcelain crown tooth. There are 3 parts to this tooth replacement:
- Titanium implant – bone cells attach to the surface
- Implant abutment – this piece that screws into the implant and attaches the crown
- Porcelain crown made to match your natural teeth
What is the process for dental implants?
- Planning stage: Planning is the most significant aspect of the process. The difference between success and failure of your implant is a thorough treatment plan. We take a 3D X-ray to evaluate the location for the dental implant.
- Implant placement: Dr. Michael Bass or Dr. Rob Watson will place the dental implant in the location where the previous tooth root was located.
- Healing: the bone around the dental implant grow into the threads and lock the dental implant into place during the next few months.
- Temporary restoration: For esthetic purposes, a temporary tooth may be placed if the implant is in a visible area until the site heals.
- Abutment placement: After healing is complete, Dr. Michael Bass or Dr. Rob Watson will place the abutment, which is the connection between the implant and the crown.
- Porcelain crown: Your crown will be attached to the abutment and you will have a functional and beautiful tooth.
How much do dental implants cost?
The price of dental implants has actually come down in the last several years due to improved technology and efficiency. At Bass Family Dentistry, a dental implant can cost as little as $1499. If you include the abutment and crown and implant, the total price can cost as little as $3999. Some cases will cost more depending on the difficulty and whether additional procedures are needed to prepare for the dental implant. If you have dental insurance, then you may have dental benefits that can help cover the costs. We recommend that you come in for a consultation visit so that we can best determine the cost in your situation and help you find a way to finance it.
Who is a candidate for dental implants?
Anyone who is missing teeth is a potential candidate for a dental implant. We work with clients at a variety of ages. It does not matter how old you are but it does matter if you are too young. Since bones are still forming during teen years we advise our younger patients to wait for implants till they have a developed bone structure.
The best time for an implant is shortly after a tooth extraction; however, Dr. Michael Bass and Dr. Rob Watson have placed dental implants successfully years after tooth loss. The most important requirement for implants is an adequate amount of healthy bone to support an implant.